1842 – 2023

First Methodist Church traces its origins back to 1842 before Madison County was organized.


Circuit Riding Preacher Henderson Palmer from the Galveston District of the Methodist Episcopal Church South served the area.


 Circuit Riders from the Washington, Rutersville and Huntsville Districts ministered to the congregation in subsequent years.


 In 1856, the church became a separate charge under the pastorate of the Rev. Joseph H.D. Moore. Members built a one-room church building in 1892. 

 It was located diagonally across from the present education building on Trinity Street.


 In 1904 members constructed a larger church building to accommodate the growing congregation.


 Additions were made to the structure through the years before it was razed in 1951 when members erected the present sanctuary.


The first service in the new sanctuary was held September 30, 1951. In 1968 the congregation changed its name from First Methodist Church to First United Methodist Church.